An exam is set to be proctored by Automated Proctoring and you are looking for instructions on how to get that process started.
Steps to follow
- Navigate to the SmarterProctoring dashboard using the link from your institution's LMS (Learning Management System). The link to SmarterProctoring might be listed as "SmarterProctoring" or simply "Proctoring". Once complete you will see the SmarterProctoring dashboard as seen below.
- First, locate the exam session that you wish to start. If you have multiple choices for proctoring your exam, you will have to click on Choose a proctor and then choose Automated Proctoring on the following screen. If Automated Proctoring is your only proctoring choice, you will see a green button that says Start exam.
Note: Make sure that you are using GOOGLE CHROME before you start your exam.
- If you previously chose Automated Proctoring as your proctor but did not start on your exam at that time, you will need to click START SESSION to begin the process.
- If you have not already done so, you will be prompted to download the chrome extension for your exam. Chrome may also request access to your Camera & Microphone. Make sure you click on Allow to provide access to your microphone and camera and then click on the Get the SmarterProctoring Extension button to proceed.
- A new tab will be created and will open up to the chrome web store. On this screen, click the blue button that says Add to Chrome. A small pop-up will appear and ask you to Add extension. You will need to click on this pop-up to proceed with onboarding.
Once the extension has been added, you can close the tab containing the google web store and return back to SmarterProctoring onboarding.
- On the next screens, you will see both the Exam Details and information on Preparing for Your Exam. Read all of the details on each page and then click continue on both screens to proceed.
- The next screens you will encounter are for the system check. If you have more than one camera connected to your computer, you will be able to select your camera input with the drop-down menu. As long as your system checks out, you can click the continue button to proceed.
- The next screen asks for your agreement to be recorded during the exam. Your camera, screen, and audio will be recorded for the duration of your exam.
This is a required step in order to test.
- You will now need to take a picture of yourself. Make sure to click the button labeled Take Photo. If you are happy with your photo. click the Confirm button. If you would like to retake your photo, you can select the Retake button.
- You will now be asked to take a picture of your government-issued ID. (follow the picture-taking steps from step 9)
- On the next step of onboarding, you will be asked to share your screen. When the "Share your entire screen" popup is displayed. make sure you click inside the preview window for sharing your screen as indicated by the red square in the screenshot below. Once you click inside that preview window, the Share button will become active for you to move on to the next step, Room Scan. Click on the button labeled Start Recording and click Stop Recording once your room has been completely scanned. If you have any questions about what constitutes a room scan, click on the text that says View an example video for a demonstration of a room scan.
- The last page of the Automated Proctoring process lets you know that you are ALL SET!
When you click the Continue button at the bottom of your screen, your exam will launch. If you need to take a moment to make sure you have everything you need or need to take a restroom break, please do so now and only click Continue when you are ready to start the exam.
- Once you are taken to your LMS (Learning Management System), you may be directly taken to your exam or you might have to navigate to the exam if you are taken to your LMS dashboard. Once you are presented with the exam, click on the appropriate button to Start the exam. It may look similar to the screenshot below but can differ depending on the exam platform.
- The password should be automatically entered for your exam and you will only need to click SUBMIT to start your exam. If for some reason the password is not entered, you can click on the blue key icon at the top of your screen and select .
If this troubleshooting step does not work for you, please reach out to our 24x7 support team by using the show support chat button in yellow.