Microsoft has created security settings within Windows 10 that can restrict which applications have access to your microphone. If you encounter any issues accessing your microphone while using Windows 10, please utilize the following steps to check on permissions for your camera.
Microphone access has been allowed to SmarterProctoring within Chrome but the "Whoops!" error is still present.
Steps to follow
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
- Click on the Settings menu option.
- Search for "Microphone" in the search field and click on “Microphone privacy settings” in the search results.
- The next screen has three sections with toggles for enabling or disabling microphone access. In the first section labeled "Allow access to the microphone on this device". please make sure that the setting shows that "Microphone access for this device is on".
- Scroll down to the section labeled "Allow apps to access your microphone". Make sure the toggle has been turned On
- Close the microphone settings window, return to Google Chrome, and refresh the tab containing SmarterProctoring. Chrome will now have access to your microphone and you can continue with the onboarding process.