Automated Proctoring is a virtual proctoring solution designed to provide flexibility and integrity to your exam.
Automated Proctoring Does:
- Record the student's screen and webcam that during a exam session.
- Provide access to authorized faculty to review videos including flags that were added due to suspicious behavior.
- Ask the student to do a scan of the space / room in which they are testing, if required by the institution.
Automated Proctoring Does Not:
- Monitor anything outside of an active exam session.
- Monitor network traffic or devices other than where the exam session is being taken.
- Share any student information outside of SmarterProctoring and the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Share the recorded exam session to any entity other than the student's institution.
- Sell or share the student information, including exam session recordings with any other entity.
- Review browsing history or currently installed programs on personal devices.
- How do I know when the exam session is being recorded?
There will be a green border encompassing your screen when you are in an active proctored session and at the top of the screen you will see the following title bar.
- Can I remove the extension? If so, how do I do it?
Yes. After your exam session is complete, right click the extension icon in your browser and select “Remove from Chrome.” This process will ensure the extension is fully removed from your computer.
- If I have privacy concerns, who can I contact?
Please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you with any of your privacy concerns.
If you have any trouble or questions while using Automated Proctoring, the SmarterProctoring support desk is available 24/7 to assist you.
Quick start guide
Within the first few days of each course start date It is critical that you :
- Login to SmarterProctoring for each course that you are instructing.
- Create a practice exam for each course. You can find an article on this process, here.
- Report any issues that you experience to our SmarterProctoring Support team so they have the opportunity to resolve the issue well in advance of your exams.
Additional Info. for Faculty/Instructors:
- You may use the button located at the bottom of the SmarterProctoring instructor dashboard to connect our support team by chat or email.
- Make sure you have the correct URL to the exam in the URL field in SmarterProctoring.
- The password to the exam in your LMS MUST match the password input to SmarterProctoring exactly.
- Do your best not to edit exam details within 24 hours of the testing window.
- If you are offering your students a .PDF or URL as a permitted item, be sure to disable the “Force Full Screen” and “Disable New Tabs” buttons from the Automated Proctoring Settings page.
- Make sure that the exam is not TOO STRICT for the assessment you are giving, but ensure that proper settings are enabled to monitor the student as desired.
Within the first few days of each course start date it is critical that you :
- Install the Google Chrome Web Browser if it isn't already installed on your computer.
The installer for Google Chrome can be found at google.com/chrome
- If you already have Google Chrome installed on your computer update it to the newest version.
You can update your copy of Google Chrome by navigating to chrome://settings/help and then follow the prompts to update. Automated Proctoring requires version 74 or newer.
- Make sure Google Chrome is set to accept cookies. To check these settings navigate to: chrome://settings/cookies and check to make sure your settings mirror what you see in the screenshot below.
- Test both the speed and stability of your internet connection in the room/location that you plan to take your exam. We recommend that you take your exam in a room that is in close proximity to your WiFi router. You can test your Internet speed at smarterservices.speedtestcustom.com. If your Internet speed is not regularly at or or higher than 1Mbps download and 1Mbps upload; you may need to call your Internet service provider for assistance or arrange an alternate location that meets the above requirements.
- Complete any demo exams that were assigned to you.
- Report any issues that you experience to the SmarterProctoring Support team so that they have the opportunity to resolve the issue well in advance of your exam(s).
Additional Info. for Students:
- You may use the button located at the bottom of the SmarterProctoring section of your student dashboard to connect our support team by chat or email.
- When reaching out to support for assistance with password entry please initiate a request for chat support after onboarding has started. This will insure that your chat is not disconnected when the exam password field is presented.
- You CANNOT use tablets or phones for automated proctoring. Only laptops (Macs, Windows based PCs or Chromebooks) or desktops (Macs or Windows based PCs) are allowed.
- You will need a working webcam AND microphone to successfully take your exam with Automated Proctoring. Using your phone as a webcam for your computer through software is NOT compatible with Automated Proctoring.
- Close out of all other open programs prior to starting your exam to ensure that you do not experience computer slowdown.
- Continue through to the end of the onboarding process and enter the exam by clicking continue on the final "All Set" page. Do not try to start the exam in a separate tab from Automated Proctoring onboarding.
- When testing try your best not to cover your face during the session. For example - do not cover your face with your hand while leaning on the desk or table you are working at.
- Automated Proctoring will automatically enter the exam password for you. If the password does not auto populate you can click the key icon at the top of your exam page and then select the option that says . If you continue to have trouble please reach out to SmarterProctoring support team via chat and they will enter the exam password for you.