Installing SmarterProctoring into the Desire2Learn environment is a straightforward process that will take roughly 15-30 minutes to work through, depending on the speed at which you move. There are 3 total components to the install, setting up a trusted site so SmarterProctoring can communicate with the Desire2Learn API, registering the LTI tool within Desire2Learn, and then placing the external tool inks within a course.
Prior to starting the process, we suggest logging into the SmarterProctoring administrative area since it will be used to complete the process. Since you will be interacting with both the SmarterProctoring administrative area and your Desire2Learn instance, we suggest having 2 tabs or browser windows open, one for each system.
Login to SmarterProctoring Administrative Area
- Navigate to your SmarterProctoring administrative area in your browser. Your SmarterProctoring administrator was provided a specific account special administrative area URL. If you do not have this information, please contact them.
- Enter your username and password and click Login.
- Once logged in, click your name in the upper right (shown here at Admin User), then click Integration Settings.
- Find the integration that you need to update, typically there will be only one integration. Next in the Actions menu, select Integration settings. This will drawer open the settings form, user this form during both the Trusted Site setup and the LTI Registration below.
- The integration settings form will load as seen in the image below.
Setup Trusted Site
The first step in the installation process is to configure the LMS allowing the SmarterProctoring system to act as a trusted site. To complete this process, follow the steps below.
- Login to your D2L instance as an administrator.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right and then locate and click Manage Extensibilityfrom the menu.
- Click the Register an App button to setup SmarterProctoring as an app.
- Complete the form by entering the following information and then click Register Application.
- Application Name: SmarterProctoring
- Trusted URL: Viewable from the Integration Settings page in your SmarterProctoring administrative area. It will look like the image below.
- Major Version: 1
- Minor Version: 0
- Description: This can be blank or you can add information here.
- Enable this application: checked
- Accept Non-Commercial Developer Agreement: checked
- Next you will see the Application ID and the Application Key that has been created for the SmarterProctoring integration. You can leave this tab or browse window open at this point and move to the next step.
- Open your tab or browser window that has the SmarterProctoring administrative area loaded - (see first step in this guide).
- Within the integration settings form in the SmarterProctoring administrative area, notice a Desire2Learn section and complete the fields as follows:
- Application ID: The Application ID that is provided in your Desire2Learn system from step 5 above.
- Application Key: The Application Key that is provided in your Desire2Learn system from step 5 above.
- Base LMS URL: The protocol and domain of your Desire2Learn instance. For example for the SmarterServices test instance it is https://smarterservices.brightspacedemo.com. You will want to enter your specific protocol and domain here.
- Once the fields are completed, click the Save button at the bottom.
- There will be an "Authenticate" button that will then appear. Click Authenticate to be directed to your Desire2Learn instance to authorize the SmarterProctoring application. If you are not already logged into Desire2Learn, you will be asked to do so.
- Follow the steps presented, when complete you will be taken back to SmarterProctoring. Once you return back to SmarterProctoring you will be shown a message that indicates the integration is setup.
Setup LTI Registration
Prior to starting this section, please be sure and login to the SmarterProctoring administrative area and navigate to the integration settings. The information found on this page will be needed for the steps below.
- Login to your D2L instance as an administrator.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right and then locate and click the External Learning Tools option from the menu.
- Under the Manage External Learning Tool Links, click the New Link button.
- Complete the New Link form as follows:
- Title: This can be whatever you would like to call it.
- URL: Launch URL provided on the SmarterProctoring integration settings page.
- Description: Any description can be added here to help describe SmarterProctoring to your students.
- Allow users to view this link: checked
- Sign messages with key/secret with: checked
- Link key/secret: selected
- Key: Consumer key provided on the SmarterProctoring integration settings page.
- Secret: Secret provided on the SmarterProctoring integration settings page.
- The custom parameters section can be blank.
- Use link security settings: checked
- Select all checkboxes under the User link security settings.
- Set the tool to be available to the proper org units. This will largely depend on your specific implementation and use case.
- Click Save and Close.
Adding LTI Tool to a Course
- Navigate to the course for which the tool should be place in.
- Click the Content menu item within your course.
- Either navigate into the module or create a new module for which you wish to have SmarterProctoring appear.
- Once in the module, click the Existing Activities menu button and then select External Learning Tools.
- When the activities are loaded, locate the SmarterProctoring activity (or whatever the name of the tool was when you registered it in the previous section) and click it.
- Your link will be appended to the bottom of the content in this module and will be ready for use. Click the link to begin configuring SmarterProctoring for your course.