It is suggested your computer meets the following requirements in order to have a successful experience using the SmarterProctoring Automated Proctoring system.
- Desktop or laptop computer (Mac or Windows based PC). Chromebooks are also acceptable.
- Windows PCs require a minimum of Windows 7.
- Macs require a minimum of macOS 10.10.
- iPads, tablets, phones and other mobile devices are not compatible.
- The newest version of Google Chrome
- Webcam (internal or external)
- Microphone (internal or external)
The SmarterProctoring automated system requires a stable Internet connection in order to successfully complete your exam. A connection that is not stable and able to push all the video to the server could result in issues during your exam. Your network must meet the minimum requirements of a minimum download speed of 3 Mbps; your upload speed will determine your video's resolution as seen in the chart below:
|Level||Minimum Upload Speed||Resolution|
|High||10+ mbps||Native Resolution|
|Medium||5+ mbps||512 x 288|
|Low||1+ mbps||480 x 270|
You may use this online tool to test your Internet speeds.
What if my connection is fast but not stable?
While it is not advised to use an unstable WiFi connection or tethering to a phone for your proctoring session, but it can be done. Automated Proctoring will properly throttle the video uploads based on your connection speeds.
What can I do to improve my connection speeds?
Use some of the following tips ensure that your connection speed is as fast as possible:
- Ensure that no one else is on your network streaming videos. For example, ensure that multiple devices are not streaming from services like Netflix or playing intensive video games.
- Restart your computer. It is always good to restart your computer to ensure that nothing is running in the background that you are unaware of. Additionally, it is good to free up any extra system resources that are being consumed.
- Connect to the Internet via a hard wired, ethernet, connection. Ethernet connections are always more reliable and faster than WiFi connections.
- Ensure there no software is running on your computer that is eating up your bandwidth, for example backup software.